Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye.

Wonderful readers,

After much hemming and hawing, I've decided that it's time to stop writing Recipe for Delicious. I can't tell you how much fun I've had over the past five months cooking, writing, and talking with you, but I've realized that I just can't keep it up for two reasons:

1. Starting today, I'm going to be a full-time bachelor-of-education student in addition to my job. While I'll still be cooking up a storm (we have to eat!), photography and writing time will now be homework time.

2. I'm kind of addicted to this blog and I'd like to spend more time doing other things. I'll still be reading your wonderful blogs--they're all bookmarked and a part of my morning web browsing--but I need to play outside more and get back to reading the shelves and shelves of books I've neglected.

One thing I'm really looking forward to is trying a few of the recipes I've found and invented in the last few months for the second time. We haven't had the same meal twice in ages! I've learned an incredible amount about cooking, baking, photography, networking, and writing. I know some of these skills will come in handy when I'm teaching high school. I'm already dreaming up ways to incorporate cooking and online publication into my classes. If you're a reader who's been thinking about starting your own blog, do it! It's so much fun and it's a great way to nurture your creativity and meet wonderful people who share your interests.

Thank you so much, readers, for your contributions to this blog through your comments, emails, and your own blogs where I found recipes and inspiration. Thank you to my family and friends who encouraged me to start this project. Thank you to my guinea pigs who ate the gourmet triumphs and the epic failures. Thank you Chris for doing so many dishes, taking pictures, sharing in my excitement, trying everything, and pretending that a big bowl of booze-soaked carrots is a balanced dinner.

I leave you with the recipe for my favourite cookies in the whole wide world. Enjoy.

Gramma's Chocolate Drop Cookies

Ingredients:
½ cup margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp cocoa mixed with hot water to form a paste
2 cups flour
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup milk
½ tsp vanilla
½ cup chopped nuts (optional)

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350°F
Blend together butter, brown sugar, egg, and cocoa paste.
Sift in flour, baking soda, and baking powder
Blend in milk and vanilla.
Stir in nuts.
Bake at 350°F for about 12 minutes.
Cool and ice with white icing .

Gramma's white icing

Ingredients:
A little butter
A little milk
A little vanilla
Some icing sugar

Instructions:
Combine. You'll know when it's ready.

Pairs nicely with gratitude, new chapters, and a cold glass of milk.

19 comments:

  1. I'll miss your posts - I do so enjoy reading your work. But all good things do come to an end. Have fun in school.

    Later KitKat,
    Carol Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad to see you go :( Good luck in your studies!! These cookies sound darn good, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Julie! Sad to see your last post - it got me through my longest hours at the library! I can't wait to try the fruits of your labour the next time I see you !!! :D LUBS you and good luck with your first day of school ! ;) -S

    ReplyDelete
  4. (your blog got me through me longest hours at the library, that is ... the pics especially!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll miss your great recipes and photos. Good luck with school!

    The cookies look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be missing posts but good luck in your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, this makes me very sad. I love your recipes and have felt a food blogging kinship with you. I hope you keep in touch! Best of luck with going to school and working full time - kudos to you for that!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous farewell recipe (I'm liking the tea biscuits in the previous post too). Wishing you much luck on your new adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to see you go, but you have exciting things to look forward to. Best of luck to you in all your endevors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to you! I am sad to read that you will not be sharing your wonderful recipes with us-although, I hope that we will continue to see you in the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really sad you'll no longer be posting, but I want to wish you well in school. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading your posts -- and thus gaining access to all the funny, lovely, annoying, and fantastic experiences you've had over the past few months both in and out of the kitchen -- made me miss you a little bit less. Your blog has been part of my morning (and, well, afternoon and evening) web browsing. I'm sure I'll keep clicking on it just in case. In the meantime, I hope school exceeds your expectations tenfold and that we'll see each other very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry to hear you won't be blogging anymore......how sad. I am very happy for you though that you are going after something you want in life, and I wish you all the success in the world! I couldn't think of a better place to be than a school, I wouldn't trade the Mount for any 5 star restaurant, the kids do make it all worth while!
    Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When are you coming back? Sob, sob!

    ReplyDelete
  15. No time before next summer, Dana. Thanks all for the well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the wonderful job you've done over the past months entertaining & educating us with your wit & culinary skills. I will miss the "Julie fix" I get everytime I read your entries - they are so you!
    Have a great time with your new adventure - your future students will be the luckiest ones of all.
    You'll make a great teacher. AMS

    ReplyDelete
  17. Julie,
    Just got back from vacation and saw this post!
    I hope you will stay in touch with me.
    Good luck!
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those cookies look great! Good luck on your studies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sending a condolence message to me recently. I hope your studies are going well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.