Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

Corn on the Cob Two Ways

I learned an amazing corn-cooking method from my mother-in-law. All you do is husk the corn and wrap each cob in plastic wrap. Punch some wholes in the plastic with a fork, and throw it in the microwave on high. Cook for two minutes, plus one more minute for each additional cob. For example, I would cook four cobs for 6 minutes. This method is great for a few reasons: 1.) it's brainless; 2.) it doesn't involve any additional fat but tastes A-MA-ZING, 3.) if you leave the cobs in the plastic wrap, they'll stay hot, hot, hot for quite a while, so you can make them at any point during meal prep.

Well, Chris looooves corn, but as you may know, we've stopped using a microwave, so this method was out of the question. Luckily, I recently found a wicked recipe on Siggy Spice's Blog. It makes a lot of sense when you think about it: if you want creamy, buttery corn, cook it in cream and butter.  We whipped this up the other night and it was creamy and delicious. I think I still prefer the corn unadorned, though. Cooking it with the milk and butter in the water took away some of the lightness that I love. If I had a choice between a pot and a microwave, I'd go with the microwave. Or just water without the cream and butter.

Anyway, now that you know my recipe, try Siggy's too and see which method you prefer:

Siggy's Corn on the Cob

Ingredients:
6-8 ears corn, husks and silk removed
water
1 cup milk (Siggy recommends whole but we had skim)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 stick butter

Instructions:
1. Fill a pot big enough for your corn half full with water--make sure it's enough to cover all the corn.
2. DO NOT SALT THE WATER! Siggy explains that salt will draw out the corn's moisture and make it bitter.
3. Add butter, milk, and sugar and bring to a boil.
4. Add corn to boiling pot and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook 8-10 minutes until just tender.
5. Remove corn from the pot and serve with butter and salt.


Pairs nicely with those little corn pokers.

1 comment:

  1. I've never tried microwaving corn on the cob. But it sounds easy and still delicious. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.