Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Unexpected Salad

Here's something I never would have thought to try before I started this blog: grilled watermelon salad with bacon and fennel. Crazy.

Here's something you probably weren't expecting: did you know that you can set off a smoke detector with watermelon? Yes. Really.

I don't have a barbecue (sob!), and I was already making brussel sprout pasta on the stove, so I used my trusty grill pan to cook the watermelon (that is such a weird thing to type). I oiled the water melon as per the instructions, and as the melon cooked, the smoke started to rise (no doubt the fault of the oil). My wonderful guest spent the first part of her visit fanning and then dismantling a smoke detector. Anyway, after the smoke had cleared (mostly) and the photos were taken, we bit into this salad and discovered that a grill, watermelon, fennel, and bacon are positively alchemical. This salad was delicious. The different flavours danced around our mouth in little taste explosions, each one reminding us of its presence (I realize how dopey that sounds, but that's really what happened!). Truly awesome.

You simply must try this. Even if you don't eat meat, try the combo of watermelon and fennel. They are wonderful together.

Here's the recipe:

Grilled Watermelon Salad
From Seaweed Snacks via Tasty Kitchen
Serves 2

Ingredients:
4 large chunks of seedless watermelon (really big--see picture)
1/4 fennel bulb slices paper thin (my kingdom for a mandolin)
4 pieces of bacon cooked (I didn't cut them up, but you certainly could)
Juice of half a lemon
2 splashes of olive oil

Instructions:
1. Set watermelon to drain on a few sheets of paper towel. Change it once. Total time about an hour.
2. While melon is draining, cook your bacon and set aside.
3. Coat watermelon with a little olive oil and grill a few minutes on each side on a really hot grill. If you're indoors, have someone ready to fan the smoke detector (or use an oil with a higher smoke point like grapeseed).
4. Whisk together lemon and olive oil and toss with fennel.
5. Stack ingredients in a fun way and serve.


Pairs nicely with a friend willing to fight with your smoke detector.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I've never thought to grill watermelon! The flavor profile here is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never in a million years think to combine those three ingredients... I really want to try it now. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow it sounds incredible! I've never really thought I can grill watermelon before! It sounds genious :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.