Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

This salad brought to you by the mandolin slicer

I bought a cheapy little mandolin slicer the other day after unsuccessfully attempting to slice fennel paper thin by hand. Obviously I needed to use it immediately, so I decided to make a pile of paper-thin slices of foods that were in my kitchen and call it a salad. It turned out to be delicious and, if I do say so myself, a little snazzy.

A mandolin slicer is pretty much the most fun ever. It's a very affordable kitchen indulgence. Mine was ten bucks.

Here's what I did:

Mandolin Salad

Ingredients:
1 lemon, sliced
1 lime, sliced.
1/2 cup fennel, sliced
1 peach, sliced
1 handful of dried cranberries
1 handful of flaked almonds
A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil

Instructions:
1. Arrange ingredients in a fun way.
2. Drizzle with olive oil.

Pairs nicely with a love of uniform slices.

3 comments:

  1. Your salad looks and sounds delicious! Love all those good ingredients! I bought a mandolin slicer a couple of years ago and it's sitting in the garage now. Used once, it creeps me out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fennel salads! I'm so scared to us my mandolin 'cuz I know I'll slice my fingers so I always make the hubs do the slicing

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like you more than got your moneys worth, with that great salad.....the fennel looks perfect, nice and thinly sliced!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.