Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Ricotta-stuffed Portobello Mushroom

Don't you love when what you're expecting to be a crappy boring night with a crappy boring dinner turns out to be awesome?

Chris and I have been working completely opposite schedules lately, so I eat a lot of meals by myself. The other night I was not looking forward to a lonely supper by myself, so I stayed at my office until about 7:30 editing a document. I wasn't looking forward to going home to an empty apartment, but I was looking even less forward (we'll just pretend that's an expression) to an empty apartment that was still a complete disaster after a busy weekend. The only thing I knew I had for supper was a bunch of asparagus. I went to the grocery store to kill time and circled the produce section like four times. I randomly grabbed some roma tomatoes and a couple of portobello mushroom caps, which I'd never bought before.

When I got home, I discovered that Chris--wonderful, darling Chris--had scoured the apartment. Heaven! I got to make dinner in a spotless kitchen without having to do any cleaning. I threw together some flavours that seemed logical and stuck them in the mushroom cap. I topped it with some impromptu tomato sauce and served it with a side of asparagus. It was AWESOME. I will definitely make this again. Here's what to do:

Stuffed Portobello
Serves 1

Ingredients:
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
1 asparagus spear, sliced in thin rounds like a green onion
1 small shallot, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
pinch dried basil
pinch dried oregano
1/2 cup ricotta
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano
1/4-1/2 cup bread crumbs
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 roma tomato, diced
splash of white wine
4 basil leaves chiffonaded

Instructions:
1. Scrape the gills out of the mushroom cap.
2. Heat butter and oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, garlic, and asparagus and cook until softened. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. Leave oil in pan.
3. Combine cooked veggies with cheese, bread crumbs, and herbs. Pile on top of mushroom cap and coat with a sprinkling of parm.
4. Bake on a foil-lined, oiled baking sheet at 375F for about 20 minutes or until the cheese browns.
5. While mushroom is cooking, bring tomato and wine to a boil in the skillet used to cook the veggies. Reduce heat and simmer until most of the liquid is evaporated.
6. When mushroom is done, stir the basil into the tomatoes and top the mushroom with the tomato sauce.
7. Serve with a side of asparagus.


Pairs nicely with a glass of the wine you splashed in the tomatoes.

7 comments:

  1. This looks incredible, I am so going to copy you soon! :) Don't you love how this little cooking hobby gives you the confidence to be creative and try you own original recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I love portobellos and this is perfect for them! Way to Chris! This recipe is a keeper and so is he!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow it looks so amazing. I love the way you presented the dish and how the picture looks so beautiful.
    The recipe doesn't sounds very complicated, too. I will have to try it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dish could turn a mushroom disliker into a mushroom lover! Looks delicious :) Awesome that Chris cleaned for you, that's the best surprise ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that looks amazing...the photographs is so pretty..and it sounds delicious. I can practically smell the cheese and tomatoes and herbs baking...

    ReplyDelete
  6. your image is breath taking!!!! wow.......what a wonderful dinner that must have been.....and someone cleaned your kitchen....sigh....how nice is that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mushrooms look delicious. It must have been a wonderful dinner. Your fella sounds like he might be a keeper :-). I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.