Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Key Lime Pie!

I absolutely love lime, and I've wanted to try making key lime pie for ages. Well, I was in the city recently and I saw bags of key limes at Pete's Frootique. I had no idea how many key limes I would need to make one pie, so I bought two bags (way too many) just to be on the safe side. When I got home, I used this recipe, which I'd bookmarked on Tasty Kitchen.

By the way, in case, like me, you're wondering what the heck a key lime is, it's just a teeny weeny lime. I wasn't really able to discern much of a difference between key limes and regular limes like I could with meyer lemons. This pie was so easy and tasty that I don't think I'll wait around for key limes anymore; I'll just use the regular ones. I think I'll use the rest of my limes to make lime curd. I'll let you know how it goes.

One of the things that really appealed to me about this particular recipe was the graham crust that included sweetened coconut.  It was a great crust and I will definitely try it with other pie recipes.

Oh and yes, I realize I went a little overboard with the green food colouring. With gel food colouring, a little goes a loooooooong way. AND, I know it's probably sacrilege to add food colouring to a key lime pie, but I'm generally a pretty sacrilegious person.

Also, if you could spell sacrilege on the first try, I bow down to you.

Key Lime Pie
From Tasty Kitchen

Ingredients:

For the crust:
1-¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
⅓ cups sweetened coconut
2-½ tbsp sugar
6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted

For the filling:
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
4 large egg yolks, room temperature
½ cups fresh key lime juice

For the topping:
1 cup heavy cream
½ tsp vanilla
1-3 tbsp sugar
Instructions:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Combine graham crumbs, coconut, sugar, and butter with a whisk in a medium sized bowl.
3. Press crumb mixture evenly into a shallow nine-inch pie pan.
4. Bake 8-10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cool.
5. Whisk together sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks. Add in lime juice and whisk again until thoroughly combined.
6. Pour filling mixture into cooled crust and bake for 15 minutes.
7. Cool pie on a wire rack, then chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.
8. When ready to serve, beat cream, sugar, and vanilla together until  soft peaks form. Serve over pie.


Pairs nicely with a cold glass of milk.

9 comments:

  1. I recently just made a key lime pie - http://www.kaceyskitchen.com/2010/08/key-lime-pie.html

    Mine didn't come out quite as nice looking as yours, once I cut it. The only difference I could tell is that mine used 6 egg yolks. It turned out very soft and hard to hold together (never mind trying to pull out a decent looking slice for a picture!).

    Anyway, this looks lovely as always, and I'll definitely be trying out this version. (Shredded coconut - genius!) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good. Brings back memories of Florida with the family. Too bad I'm gluten free now or else I'd make that in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pie looks great and I can imagine how delicious it is! It's one of my favorites if only I could convince hubby of the same. Great crust with the coconut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, I've got another recipe coming up that might work if you can find a g-free pie crust recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This filling is gluten free depending on the brand of condensed milk. I can get gf graham cracker crumbs in Halifax the next time I'm there, I'm just out at the moment (used my last ones making nanimo bars). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a friend who loves key lime pie & keep meaning to make one for him. Oh & I'm with you on the spelling, thank goodness for google

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous!!!! I adore key lime pies and yours looks and sounds exceptional. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what nice key lime pie...I love everything that contains lemon/lime...would love to have a slice...or two of this pie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently made some lemon lime bars that used the sweetened condenced milk and we LOVED them! I'll have to try this recipe with the key limes!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.