Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Key-lime-curd Pie

Well, the key lime pie I made the other day was really tasty, but it has nothing on this pie. I used the second bag of key limes to make an adapted version of Jen's lemon tart recipe, which Chris and I are completely gaga for.

Jen's recipe called for the juice of 2 lemons and the zest of three. This didn't mean much in relation to weensy little key limes, so I just guessed a half a cup of lime juice and the zest of all the the limes I juiced. It turned out great. I used a frozen pie shell because I didn't feel like making a bigger mess and I had it in the freezer. Chris is the pie crust expert around here, not me.

This pie was off the charts. The key lime pie was great, but I can't see myself ever making it again now that I've got this recipe. It's smooth and sweet and tart and amazing. It's also stupidly easy. You just stir. Seriously. That is it. Grab some limes (I'll bet regular will be fine) and go to town.

Key-lime-curd Pie
Adapted from Use Real Butter

Ingredients:
1/2 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
1 scant cup sugar
6 eggs
10 tbsp butter, cubed
zest of all the limes you juiced
1 frozen pie shell

Instructions:
1. In a double boiler (or a heat-proof glass bowl if you don't have a double boiler), whisk together juice, eggs, and sugar until well combined.
2. Set over simmering water and add butter.
3. Whisk constantly until thickened.
4. Remove from heat and whisk in zest.
5. Pour curd into pie shell and bake at 375F until set and just golden (about 22 minutes)
6. Die of happiness.


Pairs nicely with every meal of the day.

7 comments:

  1. I am green with envy for this great lime dessert. Great recipe and I will have to put this on the list of must tries! Love the way you garnished with the lime slices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a delicious and pretty looking pie, I really like the color too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks delicious !you did a green glaze ?it's so nice and green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! I forgot to mention that I put in a little teeny bit of green gel food clouring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that is a simple pie & looks spectacular

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to make this pie this weekend when I have family visiting! I do not have a double boiler, so do you think I could use a small pot inside large pot of boiling water?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.