Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Brussel Sprout Pasta

I think that most sensible people make something that they know how to make and that they know tastes good when they have company coming. I don't work that way. When I have company coming, they're guinea pigs. Sometimes this can be a tad stressful.

The other night, my wonderful friend Liz was coming for dinner. She is the most easygoing, positive person you could ever imagine, so it's pretty irrational to stress about a guest like her, but stress I did.  I laid awake and hemmed and hawed endlessly over what to make. Eventually I decided to serve a variation on this  bacon, shallot, and brussel sprout pasta and an awesome salad that I'll show you tomorrow. So not only was I making a recipe I'd never tried, I was cooking a vegetable I'd never had before. Anyway, all the stress was for naught. The food turned out great, with one little mishap which you'll learn about tomorrow. I really don't know why people get so grossed out by brussel sprouts. They're just a green vegetable. They taste (shockingly) like a green vegetable: delicious! This pasta was light and creamy and tasty. The leftovers reheated the next day in a skillet beautifully.

Here's the recipe:

Creamy Brussel Sprout and Bacon Pasta
Adapted from Good Life Eats

Ingredients:
5 strips bacon
3 shallots, thinly sliced
1 ounces brussel sprouts, trimmed and quartered (from top to bottom)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
kosher salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano, finely grated
2 servings flax meal spaghettini

Instructions:
1. In a heavy skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Set aside.
2. Remove 1/2 the bacon fat from the pan (discard or save for another use), add shallot, and sautee over medium heat until starting to brown. Meanwhile bring water for pasta to a boil.
3. Add brussel sprouts and water to the pan. Cover and cook undisturbed for 3-5 minutes until tender.
4. Remove lid and increase heat to medium high. Cook until any remaining water has evaporated.  Throw pasta in the pot.
5. Stir in cream, thyme, and parm and season with salt and pepper.
6. Add pasta to the skillet and toss to combine.
7. Serve with additional parm.


Pairs nicely with a glass (or two) of sauvignon blanc.

5 comments:

  1. This looks delicious and it's always nice to have another recipe for Brussels sprouts. This is my first visit to your blog. I'm so glad I stopped by. I really love the recipes you feature and the tone of your blog makes for a wonderful visit. I'll be back often. I hope you are having a good day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love brussel sprouts & bacon only makes them better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a huge brussel sprout eater but this pasta makes me want to be. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I'm going to have to try this on my crew at home. Keep up the great work. Ann S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made brussle sprouts look great!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.