Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bruschetta

I brought this bruschetta to a spaghetti dinner at Geoff and Steph's recently. It's an easy and tasty appetizer that requires few ingredients but has tons of flavour. I like to keep bruschetta simple, but I find a splash of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkling of parmigiano reggiano really bring it to life. Here's my recipe:

Julie's Bruschetta
Makes about 30 toasts

Ingredients:
9 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
20 basil leaves
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
Splash of balsamic vinegar
Pinch of kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 baguette, thinly sliced
1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano, grated

Instructions:
1. Toss together tomatoes, garlic, 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Cover and let rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to an hour.
2. Brush baguette slices with remaining olive oil and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. When baguettes are just about cooked, stack basil leaves and roll into a cigar shape. Slice thinly and toss with tomato mixture.
4. Pile 1 tbsp of the tomato mixture on each toast and sprinkle with parmigiano.
5. Serve immediately.


Pairs nicely with a glass of sauvignon blanc.

3 comments:

  1. I love bruschetta!! Its just so good, simple, clean and delicious! Awesome pairing with sauvignon blanc, that's my favorite wine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bruschetta looks wonderful and I think using fewer ingredients produces a real treat that allows you to taste each flavor. This is my first visit to your blog but it will not be my last. I love your recipes and the food you feature. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.